Thursday, 24 July 2014

Two successes and one failure

Hi everyone

I don't know about you, but I am wilting in the summer heat that we have at the moment.  It's gorgeous, but I do not cope well in very hot weather. It has been as high as 37 degrees in my conservatory, so I am very happy that I have the studio to escape to; it is probably the coolest room in the house.  That being said, today I have a huge fan wafting me.  It's a good job that I don't have a project with loads of small pieces of paper on the go otherwise they'd be everywhere.  I think that the hot weather has been affecting my crafting mojo too as I have not been very active at all craft wise.  

Last week I spoke briefly about the Copic Ciao pens that I had bought and asked if anyone had a preference.  Well I had a go with mine and what a total disaster so far


I'm not sure that you can see the stamping and embossing that I have done; the flower is stamped using the Hobby Art Ltd set CS024D Anna's Collection - Special Wishes and embossed with clear powder.  I started to colour in with the light pink (R22 Light Prawn) Copic and followed it with a red/pink colour (R29 Lipstick Red) going back again with the light pink to get a blend, it looks terrible!  At the present time, I will not be rushing out to buy more Copics, but I will be watching several tutorials on YouTube on Copic colouring to see what it is that I should or should not be doing.  In fact, I'll stamp the same flower on the same piece of card and give it another go when I have watched some.  Check back to find out how it's going.

Let's get on to some more positive makes from this week.  


This card was for a friend who was celebrating a special birthday.  I knew that she would not want a 'fussy' card, but that she would appreciate something simple.  I used a Penny Black slapstick cling stamp called Longing and embossed it with ultra thick black embossing powder.  The ultra thick powder gave the image the slightly distressed look that I wanted and I was pleased with the outcome and glad that I had taken the risk of using the ultra thick.  I used Distress Ink for the background in Peacock Feathers, Broken China and Evergreen Bough, I applied the inks with the new mini ink blending tool (pictured on left) from Ranger.  I really like the smaller style of these as opposed to the original tools (pictured on right), I find them so easy to use and I find that I get a better blend.  I also find that using them with stencils so easy too.


Continuing the theme of simple cards that I seem to be creating lately, I loved how this card below turned out.  Using Hero Arts stamp set Many Dots along with Hero Hues Shadow Inks, I feel that I have a really nice birthday card that can be for a male or female.  I think that I am going to do some more versions of this one, possibly in gender specific colours although I haven't decided yet.  I can also see this card with many different greetings also.


Perhaps you'd like to drop in next week when I may have had more success with Copic blending and to see what else is new.

Thanks for stopping by


2 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of the cards that you have been sharing with us recently. They look really lovely and I'm sure that any recipients will love them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Pinkglow, I'm enjoying them too

    ReplyDelete