Thursday, 26 February 2015

Happy Mail and More Colour

Hi there

This month seems to have flown by faster than the last, I know that February is a short month anyway, but those two or three days make a huge difference I think. The days are getting longer though and it feels as if spring is just around the corner. There are splashes of colour here and there in the garden.  My camellia bush is blooming with its huge blooms and beautiful pink colour and there are tete-a-tete daffodil heads just waiting to burst open; their vibrant yellow colour always means spring is here.  I have also got a hanging basket with violas in, to me they are happy flowers with their happy little faces on.  

Things have also been blooming in the studio too.  I have been making the effort to spend some quality time there and have tried to challenge myself a little more too.  

The end of January and beginning of February are busy with birthdays for me and I have continued to enjoy using lots of colour on my cards.  I have been creating watercolour backgrounds and like the look of the loose style that they give.  I love using distress inks as watercolour paints and I still enjoy creating backgrounds with them to stamp on.   




Here's one that was for a Valentine's Day anniversary that I was really pleased with.  I have used only one colour with more water added to create each 'shade'.  I really like how it looks like I have used several colours and how they have blended together.


And now for a complete disaster that made my husband and I laugh a lot.  I have fancied playing with a Gelli plate for some time, but both sizes are expensive to buy. I turned to YouTube to see if there were any DIY Gelli plate tutorials and had a go with a 'recipe' from one of the several that I watched.  Some of them seemed more complicated than others and the one I chose was really simple.  So I trotted off and bought a silicone cake mould and some gelatin and followed the directions in the tutorial . . . . . 


Stage one was looking really good and when I took it out of the fridge the next evening, I had visions of gelli prints hanging out to dry all over the place . . . . . 


well that wasn't a good start, and then . . . . .


I didn't really know what to do other than laugh - complete disaster.  I will try it again, but I'm not sure if I should try the same 'recipe' or to go for a different method - any ideas?  

In mid February I posted the second in the 'I Love Colour' series.  In case you missed it, here are the colours that were my inspiration


and below is the card that I created using inks that, as closely as possible, matched those colours


I used pigment inks from Versa Color in Raspberry, Amethyst and Grape, a Memento dye in in Paris Dusk and a Distress Ink in Shaded Lilac.  I also used a Versa Magic Chalk in in Cloud White to create a subtle bokeh effect.  Three different stamp sets made up the image, Wplus9's Spring Blooms, Hero Arts Many Dots and Find Joy also from Hero Arts which I used for the sentiment.

For the colour series in March I shall be using a colour combination which has more than one colour, the previous two combos have been shades of one colour.  

Finally for this month, I've received happy mail. 


My MISTI tool arrived from the US.  It's great to use and fun too.  Have you seen one of these in action or are you using one?  I have a special job to do with mine - my daughter's invitations for her wedding so I'm not able to show you what I have done so far.  I'll show you some work using it in my next post.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog today.  I hope you will look in again in the middle of March to check out the third 'I Love Colour' post and again at the end of March to see what I have been working on with my MISTI.

I wish you all a great day


1 comment: