Monday, 16 February 2015

'I Love Colour' - No. 2

Hi and welcome to the second in the 'I Love Colour' card series.

I really enjoyed putting together the card for the first in this series and looked forward to working on the second 'instalment'.

Below is the finished card


And here is the colour combination that I was using


I'm really pleased with how well the colours that I chose for the card matched. Purples and pinks, no problem I thought, I have several inks in these colours, but finding the matches was more challenging than I had anticipated.  As you can see by the photograph below, I tried several combinations until I came up with my colours. Some were too pink if a pink can be too pink! Or perhaps they leaned towards a more brown toned pink and the purples were difficult in that some that I had were far too blue.


The colours I ended up with after stamping loads of heart samples (well it was Valentine's weekend) were Raspberry, Amethyst and Grape pigment inks from Versa Color, a Memento dye ink in the colour Paris Dusk and a Distress Ink in Shaded Lilac. I also used Versa Magic Chalk Ink in Cloud White to create a subtle bokeh effect.  I used three stamp sets, Wplus9's Spring Blooms and Hero Arts Many Dots and Find Joy which I used for the sentiment. 

I immediately thought that the card would feature florals and I reached for the Spring Blooms set that I had not previously used.  To my surprise, I really wasn't happy with how the flowers looked using my colour combination and I was really disappointed; it's a lovely stamp set, I seemed to be making all the wrong decisions and I really wanted to make the card work. Whenever I find myself stuck in this way I always look for inspiration on Pinterest or on blogs that I follow.  I did a Google search for 'Wplus9 Spring Blooms' and was delighted to see lots of lovely photos in the images section using this stamp set.  I have based my card on Maureen Merritt's (Mama Mo Stamps) image.  I loved the idea of using the leaf stamps in non leaf colours.  I sponged the background with Shaded Lilac Distress Ink and then used the three pigment inks to stamp the leaves at differing heights.  I then did the bokeh stamping and finished off with the sentiment stamped in Memento Paris Dusk.  

Thank you for checking in today and I hope you look in again mid March for the third in this series.  Don't forget to come back at the end of the month for my usual monthly blog post.


1 comment:

  1. I think this is my favourite so far, but I love these colours so that's probably why x

    ReplyDelete