Sunday, 31 May 2015

It's been a woolly month!

Hi everyone

How has your month been?  For me it's been a bit woolly and by that I mean that my knitting needles have been clicking away and my crochet hook has been weaving its way deftly between the wool - well, I'd like to think it has, but my crochet style leaves a lot to be desired at the present time.  I'm sure that a more fluid style will come in time.

Firstly I'll let you have a peek at the knitting that I've been working on.  This first item is for a new grandchild due at the beginning of October.  It is a randomly coloured wool and has knitted up into block like areas.  My daughter wanted a very simple pattern and I love the colours for a newborn.  


This second item will be a jumper for my grandson next autumn.


I have just discovered self patterning wool and I have to admit that I couldn't knit fast enough to see how the pattern was progress.  It was fascinating to see it grow and develop.  I think it's going to look great when it is all finished. 

I found a little wool shop in my area where I could go and have crochet and knitting lessons.  I knew that I didn't want to go for lots of tuition but just to get the basic idea of how to make a granny square.  I felt that if I could pick that up, I'd possibly be able to move on to other stitches and pattern reading when I had mastered granny squares.  The following pictures show the square that I did at my lesson followed by one that I did at home to check that I had picked up the basics.  The third picture shows a slightly larger square of just one colour.  




I'm going to carry on with this style to gain more confidence doing these stitches and refine my style before moving on to something else.  

* * * * * * *

I have recently returned from a trip to Venice where I celebrated my 35th wedding anniversary with my husband.  It is a beautiful place and I felt as if I was living in a Canaletto painting.  None of the buildings look the same as the one it stands next to either in style or colour and none of the buildings have straight lines.  In fact, some of the towers on churches lean quite significantly.

Venice is renowned for its paper-making and book binding as well as its glass from Murano and I could not resist bringing home some of this gorgeous printed paper and a glass dip pen.  I'm not sure what I will use the paper for as it was an expensive purchase, but I know whatever item I choose to use it on, it will look beautiful.  


A couple of months ago I took part in a 30 day colouring challenge where participants were encouraged to colour each day, even if only for five minutes and to share their work.  I enjoyed taking part even though I didn't manage all thirty days.  The second 30 day challenge starts tomorrow and I am really looking forward to taking part again. Perhaps you can check out some of my submissions during the month on Instagram, you can find me there at jacquielinestudio.  If you'd like to find out more about the colouring challenge, hop on over to Kathy's blog for everything you need to know http://thedailymarker.blogspot.de/

Thank you for taking the time to see what I've been up to this month and I hope you'll choose to look in again at the end of June to see what's been happening in the studio.  


No comments:

Post a Comment